Freezing foods is the process of putting food in our own freezers with 0 degree in Celsius temperature. The freezer plays a major role in preserving our food that most of us didn't know. The fruits, vegetables, meat, poultry, seafood and pastries can be freeze and the only foods that cannot be freeze are canned and eggs in shell. That's why freezing foods are said to be very useful to us because we will never run out of supply of food. It saves time and gives convenience to us.
In freezing foods, foods are safe to eat because freezing prevents the growth of micro organisms that causes spoilage. It inactivates these microbes that are present in our food. So once the food is thawed I suggest you to cook it at once before the microbes become active again. Foods that don't freeze well like mayonnaise, custards, gelatines, cheese, puddings, gravies and spices. Freezing vegetables must be blanched first. Fruits on the other hand must be covered with acid, syrup, water, fruit juice and sugar before freezing.
To know the right and safe way of freezing foods, we must understand these tips to make frozen foods last longer and we can ensure that it is safe for eating;
- Choose the best and freshest food in freezing foods.
- Divide foods in small portions for easy defrosting or thawing.
- Put foods in a vacuum seal bag or airtight bags.
- Maintain required temperature of 100 degree Celsius in freezers.
- Freeze foods one at a time with no overloading.
- Defrost food in cold water or in refrigerator for safety.
- Cook food once it has been thawed.
- Check any changes in the food after defrosting.
- Label bags of frozen foods with necessary details.
- Freeze cooked foods only if they are totally warm.
Freezing foods is really a good idea of preserving foods, for it saves time, money and effort in preparing quality food for the family. It is also easy to do. All tips and guidelines are easy to follow. You can freeze any foods you like anytime without any risk. Now you are free from worries about giving your family nutritious foods for even it is frozen it has still all the nutrients you need.
Victoria Stewart is a home canning and preserving food expert.
Learn How You Can Effortlessly Can and Preserve Your Own Food, In Your Own Home - And Save HUNDREDS Of Dollars Each Year!
Discover more information about Freezing Foods, visit http://www.guidetohomecanning.com.